Cicely Tyson is an actress. She was nominated for both Academy and Golden Globe Awards for her role as Rebecca Morgan in the film Sounder. While she played supporting roles in a number of movies, this would be one of few main roles that Tyson played during her acting career.
Cicely Tyson is not only an actress; she’s also a classy human being. Those are two things that don’t always go together – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, either. One can be classy in some areas of life and less so in others.
Cicely Tyson received the Best Actress award at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes Awards and may others for her performance in Sounder (1972).
- Born: December 19, 1924 New York City, U.S.
- Died: January 28, 2021 (aged 96) New York City, U.S.
- Occupation: Actress
Let these Tyson quotes inspire you to hustle for your dreams and live a purposeful life.
1. “I’ve never really worked for money. It’s so important for me to have peace of mind, body, and soul than to have all the riches.” — Cicely Tyson
2. “Unless a piece really said something, I had no interest in it. I have got to know that I have served some purpose here.” — Cicely Tyson
3. “In my early years, there were a number of experiences that made me decide I could not afford the luxury of just being an actress. There were a number of issues I wanted to address. And I wanted to use my career as a platform.” — Cicely Tyson
4. “You never know what motivates you.” — Cicely Tyson
5. “I am not a quitter. I will fight until I drop. It is just a matter of having some faith in the fact that as long as you are able to draw breath in the universe, you have a chance.” — Cicely Tyson
6. “Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. They’re what make the instrument stretch — what make you go beyond the norm.” — Cicely Tyson
7. “Now, I am perfectly willing to just enjoy my career by choosing roles simply because I consider them to be a challenge and doing the best possible job I can.” — Cicely Tyson
8. “I want to be recalled as one who squared my shoulders in the service of Black women, as one who made us walk taller and envision greater for ourselves.” — Cicely Tyson
9. “In my work, people say I’m strong. But I’m not aware of any of it. If I were conscious of it, that can only get in the way of future performances.” — Cicely Tyson
10. “I am the sum total of each one of the women I have played.” — Cicely Tyson
11. “I was in California when this journalist made a blanket statement about the fact that she did not think that black men and women had the kind of love relationship that Rebecca and Nathan had in Sounder.” — Cicely Tyson
12. “All I have to do is find someone who has something to say that will enrich my life and they can’t get rid of me.”— Cicely Tyson
13. “If each person in this world will simply take a small piece of this huge thing, this amazing quilt, and work it regardless of the color of the yarn, we will have harmony on this planet.” — Cicely Tyson
14. “My gratification in working comes from the preparation and the building of the character.”— Cicely Tyson
15. “When someone violates you sexually, it does not simply haunt and aggrieve you; it alters the very shape of your soul.” — Cicely Tyson
16. “You always seek to control others when you are not in full ownership of yourself.” — Cicely Tyson
17. “That is, in this life, who we are for one another–fellow sojourners and witnesses. We are here to see and hear one another.” — Cicely Tyson
18. “The Father has a way of choosing the flawed to attempt what many deem improbable.” — Cicely Tyson
19. “When you don’t know your true value, you see the world through the lens of how you don’t measure up.” — Cicely Tyson
20. “What’s for you in this life, you will get. And what is not for you, you will never get. Do you hear me?” — Cicely Tyson
Which of these Cicely Tyson quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below. You can also share or use images on your social media easily.